Attuned’s team of practitioners builds the capacity of PK-12 organizations to prioritize, tailor, and implement a diverse set of practices that drive educational equity and excellence.
As former teachers, principals, and system leaders from some of the nation’s most effective districts and charter school organizations, we understand—firsthand—that the work is difficult and that extraordinary public school outcomes are possible.
We don’t subscribe to extremes or one-size-fits-all approaches. Instead, we identify and synthesize effective practices from a diverse set of proven models, and we help our partner organizations tailor and integrate solutions that make sense for their contexts—blending rigor and empathy, planning and implementation, district and charter expertise, and aspirations of quality and scale.
The Chief Schools Officer develops the capacity of school leaders and school systems leaders to create and implement a sound academic strategy. The position reports to Alyssa Whitehead-Bust, Partner. Attuned is a virtual organization with some travel expected.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support increased academic outcomes for students in 5-7 schools/networks by providing instructional support to principals and network CEOs, Executive Directors, and Chief Academic Officers.
- Through a deep organizational diagnostic–including on-site school reviews and analysis of relevant artifacts and data–help partner organizations identify strengths and gaps in practices.
- Facilitate instructional planning that ensures organizations identify and focus on the highest-leverage practices to improve teaching and learning and drive student outcomes.
- Help clients:
- Build their pedagogical content knowledge and the range of leadership competencies needed to lead high performing schools and school systems.
- Develop/adopt/refine and implement curriculum, instructional approaches, and assessments.
- Develop/adopt/refine and implement systems for data driven instruction (DDI), observation and feedback, lesson and content internalization, and high-quality adult learning systems.
- Develop/adopt/refine and implement strong student culture systems, including social emotional learning supports.
- Develop/adopt/refine and implement strong adult culture systems.
- Develop/adopt/refine and implement tools and processes for management of principals and instructional walkthroughs.
- Develop/adopt/refine approaches to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop/adopt/refine and implement a delivery chain that impacts student learning.
- Provide clients with:
- Trainings for teachers, school leaders, and other senior leadership on a range of topics, including DDI cycles, observation and feedback, lesson design and delivery, lesson and content internalization, and PD delivery.
- Executive coaching for instructional leaders.
- Ongoing school-based walkthroughs and feedback sessions to ensure that instructional and/or culture systems are being implemented with fidelity and impact.
- On-site facilitation of quarterly step backs to assess progress.
- Facilitation of peer-to-peer learning for like-role leaders.
- Coordination across school and/or school system partners (e.g., Relay and ANet).
- Support the growth and development of Attuned.
- Manage clients with independence, including strong preparation and follow-up.
- Manage associates and contractors to deliver excellent work.
- Share evolving education trends and best practices with the team.
- Analyze school and system practices to support Attuned’s ability to create resources useful to the broader field.
- Identify and help build new lines of work as the opportunity arises.
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues to develop and deliver best-in-class services to schools and school systems.
- Serve as a thought partner to colleagues, help solve a variety of day-to-day puzzles, and generate creative solutions for internal and external improvements.
- Passionate commitment to the mission of dramatically improving PK-12 education for children from low-income communities.
- Evidence of impact as a school leader and as a principal coach or supervisor.
- Deep knowledge of curriculum and instruction, assessments, student culture, and adult development.
- Evidence of deep content knowledge in one or more content areas.
- Experience leading high-performing teams and managing staff.
- Ability to coach, support and influence adults towards improvement.
- Outstanding project management skills – ability to see big picture, create organizational systems, and manage details.
- Demonstrated ability to manage change and to discern and navigate complex system dynamics, including those that are politically charged.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, take initiative, and display tenacious follow-through.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial start-up environment.
- Positive demeanor.
- Learner stance, humility, and growth mindset.
We offer competitive compensation, health care coverage, and access to 401(k) plans with a matching contribution policy.
If you are passionate about improving educational opportunities for children from low-income communities, please contact Alyssa Whitehead-Bust at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attuned is committed to building a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and sustainable organization. The broad range of experiences, ideas, and practices that our team members bring allows us to serve with excellence the diverse organizations with whom we partner. Attuned is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or veteran status.